After launching the P1lot One (read here and here), a non-profit pilot’s watch exclusively for 52 forum members, some of the members of the construction team joined forces and started SUBDELTA, handbuilt Dutch watches. Every year, a maximum of 100 handbuilt watches will be issued.
The first crowdfunding watch project for SUBDELTA is the Periscope. Designed and built in the Netherlands,this Periscope model commemorates the Dutch submarine legacy. Design elements that grab back to that submarine legacy can be found in the dial for example. Submarine crew can now see the time (and whether it is day/night) in one glance of the dial, due to the day & night indicator and the single hand. The SUBDELTA Periscope comes in two sizes, in 39mm (13mm height) and 42mm (14mm height). However, even the smaller version is by no means a small watch with a lug-to-lug size of 49mm. More dimensions and specifications can be found below.
Reading time with just one hand is really easy, and has been a success for other brands (like MeisterSinger) as well. The dial has a 24-hour scale and with the 24-hour movement it means that the single hand makes one rotation every 24 hours. At first glance, it might appear that the dial looks a bit cluttered because of this, but it is actually really easy to read time this way and not in the last place convenient.
For the movement, SUBDELTA will be using a modified top-shelf self-winding Russian movement. They call it the SUB 2624-1 movement (which is a heavily modified Petrodvorets 2624) with 40 hours power reserve, decorated with “Côtes de Genève”, “dorage noir” and sporting a rotor with SUBDELTA logo. All SUBDELTA (Periscope) watches are designed by a Dutch team and will be built & assembled in the Netherlands. The watch will be personalized with initials of the owners, a date and a unique number.
From today till June 15th, crowdfunding will take place the SUBDELTA webshop. The normal price between June 1st and 15th will be € 1,750 (inc. 21% Dutch VAT for EU residents) or € 1,446 (with 0% VAT for non-EU residents). Early Birds can however back this project for € 1,500 (inc. 21% Dutch VAT for EU residents) or € 1,240 (with 0% VAT for non-EU residents) in the first two weeks. Worldwide free shipping.
- 39 mm: 13 mm high, 49 mm lug-to-lug
- 42 mm: 14 mm high, 51 mm lug-to-lug
- 22 mm lug width
- weight: < 100 gr
- 6 ATM water resistance
- grade 5 titanium (the highest grade) case, screw-in caseback, buckle and screw-in crown
- day/night sandwich dial setup with crosshair, filled Swiss Super-LumiNova on DIN font (day: submarine blue, night: pitch black)
- front crystal: double-domed 2 mm sapphire, AR-coated on inside
- back crystal: flat 1.5 mm sapphire, AR-coated on inside
- automatic SUB 2624-1 movement (heavily modified Petrodvorets 2624) with 40 hours power reserve, decorated with “Côtes de Genève” and “dorage noir”, rotor with SUBDELTA logo
- personalizations: initials in leather strap, personal date & build number laser-engraved in the case
- straps: one-of-a-kind black/orange handmade leather strap by 7T2Straps.com & orange “1968” Isofrane
- strap changing tool: Bergeon 6767F
- packaging: modified black Nanuk 903 waterproof explorer case
- crowdfunding: May 13th – June 15th
- production start: mid June
- shipping: before Christmas
Latest posts by Robert-Jan Broer (see all)
- Speedy Tuesday – Speedmaster Artwork by Cay Broendum - Oct 25, 2016
- Les Noble Watch Roll – You Can’t Go Without A Watch Roll - Oct 21, 2016
- Omega Seamaster 300 in the L’Odyssée Movie - Oct 20, 2016