Today would be the birthday of Steve McQueen (24th of March), him being an avid Rolex wearer, I though it might be a good day to write about one of the new introductions based on an all time classic sports watch. The Rolex Explorer.
“Perhaps the classic Rolex sports watch of all times is the Explorer (or Explorer I, as it is sometimes referred to). Even James Bond wears an Explorer in the original books by Ian Flemming. The first Explorer models (1953) are quite similar to the current model, although it has – of course – been updated through time to keep up with modern requirements of the consumer. However, what didn’t change was the diameter of 36 mm.”
Now, in 2010, Rolex introduces the 39mm version of the good ol’ Explorer. An ref.214270 to keep your 36mm ref.114270 company, as the 114270 is still in the 2010 catalogue.
Technical specifications of this new watch are:
- Case diameter: 39mm
- Sapphire crystal
- 100/300ft water resistant
- Movement type: 3132 (Parachrom hairspring with Breguet overcoil Paraflex shock absorbers)
- COSC rated
- Powerreserve 48 hours
- Oyster bracelet with Oysterlock(ft.Easylink comfort extension link)
Please read my Wednesday Watch post at Motoring Exposure about this new Rolex Explorer 214270.
Latest posts by Robert-Jan Broer (see all)
- Most Popular Watches Of 2016 (on Chrono24) - Jan 20, 2017
- SIHH 2017 Roger Dubuis Excalibur Spider Pirelli – Automatic Skeleton - Jan 19, 2017
- SIHH 2017 – Richard Mille RM 50-03 McLAREN F1 (Live Pictures) - Jan 18, 2017