Rolex was originally founded in 1905 as “Wildorf and Davis” by Hans Wilsdorf and Alfred Davis in London. Shortly after the name Rolex was filed for trademark, an office was opened in La Chaux-de-Fonds in Switzerland. The company was finally registered on November 1915. Rolex moved its operations to Geneva in 1919 to avoid heavy taxation from a recovering post war Britain. In 1960 the founder Hans Wilsdorf passed away, At that time all Rolex shares were owned by the Hans Wilsdorf Foundation to make sure some of the companies earnings would go towards charity. This remained unchanged to this day and Rolex SA is still owned by the foundation which is registered as a charity.