Lange was originally founded in 1845 by Ferdinand Adolph Lange in Glashütte, near the city of Dresden in German Saxony. Ferdinand’s son Richard joined him in the business, and the company changed its name to A. Lange & Söhne. They specialised in making high quality pocket watches.
After their main production building was destroyed in the last days of the war the company ceased to exist under postwar Soviet administration. Walter Lange who is the great-grandson of the founder and the lead of the company had to flee the country in order to avoid forced labour.
When the fall of the wall is celebrated in November 1989, Walter Lange sees the chance for a new beginning for the family business in Glashütte. Shortly after their first new patent is registered for the outsize date which marks many of their models.