Armin Strom does not only master the art of skeletonizing watches, they also know how to keep them still fresh and wearable. With the the Skeleton Pure Collection, Armin Strom seems to be aiming at a young audience. A young audience that respects the craftsmanship of skeletonizing movements, but also who enjoys a modern sports-type watch with quite some presence on the wrist.
During our recent trip to the SalonQP event in London, we had the chance to see the new Armin Strom Skeleton Pure watches.
Armin Strom Skeleton Pure
The Armin Strom Skeleton Pure Collection consists of the Earth, Water, Fire and Air models, each limited to 100 pieces only. They all have different case materials, but based on the same beautiful in-house developed caliber ARM09-S movement and underwent the same process of skeletonizing. However, the main plate of the ARM09-S movement has received a different color of PVD-coating per model, to fit the case material in the best possible way.
The Armin Strom Skeleton Pure Air for example, has a beautiful titanium case and its movement is treated with grey PVD coating to create a perfect visual combination. All 4 models also have different straps that match with the case and movement color, like this Air model that comes with a nice genuine grey alligator horn-back strap.
As you can see on the photos, the watch has two big barrels that will make the movement go on for 8 days. When you wind this watch, you will see some action on the dial side as the two big crown wheels are visible through the skeletonized dial.
Armin Strom performed skeleton work on the main plate, gear-train bridges and barrel bridges. The PVD coating on the plate is done using 3D PVD colorization, to create extra depth. The barrel bridges and gear trains are being electroplated with rhodium or ruthenium by Armin Strom’s skilled artisans.
My personal favorite is the Armin Strom Skeleton Pure Fire. This 18 carat rose gold case has a movement that is treated with a nice dark brown PVD coating and – of course – a brown alligator strap. The watch has matching rose gold hands and a 18 carat rose gold buckle (double folding clasps are optional). On the photos of this Armin Strom Skeleton Fire (below), you can see how nice the contrast is between the rose gold and the brown PVD plate of the movement. Also the hands and parts of the movements are executed in a gold color.
The sapphire dial ring enables you to see everything of the movement and still keep the dial aperture as large as possible. The jewels give a nice contrast to the gold and brown colors as well in my opinion.
More information can be found on www.arminstrom.com
- Fire (18 carat rose gold)
- Water (stainless steel)
- Earth (black PVD stainless steel)
- Air (titanium)
- All models have a 43.4mm diameter case and measure 13mm in height
- Water resistant up to 50 meters / 5 ATM
- Sapphire crystals
- Sapphire with founded appliques
- hands of stainless steel except for the Fire (rose gold)
- Genuine alligator leather (horn-back)
- ardillon buckle (stainless steel, titanium, PVD, gold)
- double folding clasp is optional
- caliber ARM09-S
- manual winding
- 8-days power reserve
- small seconds, decentralized time indication (hh:mm)
- fully skeletonized (coated) main plate, gear-train bridges and barrel-bridges
- escapement wheel and pallets made of solid gold with hardened functional areas
- screwed balance with Breguet overcoil
- 18,000 bph
- 34 jewels
- 146 parts
All watches are limited to 100 pieces per model. Prices start at $33,400.- USD
Latest posts by Robert-Jan Broer (see all)
- Speedy Tuesday – Speedmaster Radial Dials - Jan 24, 2017
- Most Popular Watches Of 2016 (on Chrono24) - Jan 20, 2017
- SIHH 2017 Roger Dubuis Excalibur Spider Pirelli – Automatic Skeleton - Jan 19, 2017