Oris is on a roll, with their support to great projects like the Coral Restoration Foundation, Movember and now with its sponsorship of the Clipperton Expedition. Clipperton Island is world’s most isolated land mass, and only very few people ever set foot on land. It is the home of a number of threatened species, on land and in the water. Earlier this year, Oris sponsored an expedition to Clipperton Island together with a number of scientists and conservationists to gather data to help develop existing shark migration theories, and to effect lasting change that will preserve Clipperton’s ecosystem.
Now, Oris introduces the Clipperton Limited Edition diver’s watch that is limited to 2000 pieces. A percentage of the proceedings will be used to support the Clipperton Expedition.
For this limited edition, Oris used their famous Aquis as basis. The dial of the Oris Clipperton has a gradient blue dial that reflects the water around the atoll. A stainless steel case with a diameter of 43.5mm is water resistant up to 300 meters (or 30 bar) and has a case back that has an embossed image of the Clipperton Island and its coordinates.
The Oris Clipperton is besides sponsoring a good cause, just a very cool divers watch. Price starts at CHF1950 Swiss Francs for the version with strap. It has a self-winding Oris caliber 733, based on the Sellita SW200-1 movement. In fact, you can read a more thorough write-up on the modern Aquis here.
Oris is on a roll with interesting projects and watches to be honest. The Oris Movember edition surely was well appreciated within our team (have a look here) and if there’s a chance I will try to get my hands on an Oris Clipperton for a review. Now, the only thing I don’t get with Oris is their support of the Williams F1 team. Don’t get me wrong, I am a F1 fan, but somehow it doesn’t add up to sponsor both initiatives for conservation of nature and Formula 1. Perhaps I am wrong though. Anyway, the Oris Clipperton is supporting a great cause and the watch turned out to be very handsome.
All specifications of the Oris Clipperton can be found below.
Specifications Oris Clipperton
Oris Clipperton Limited Edition
Ref. No. 01 733 7730 4185 MB, Ø 43.5 mm Limited to 2,000 pieces
- Automatic movement Oris Cal. 733, based on Sellita SW 200-1, with date at 6 o’clock
- Multi-piece stainless steel case with screw-in security crown and crown protection. Water-resistant to 30 bar/300m
- Diver’s uni-directional rotating bezel with black ceramic insert with 60-minute timer and zero marker filled with Super-LumiNova®
- Sapphire crystal domed on both sides with anti-reflective coating inside
- Screwed stainless steel case back embossed with Clipperton Island and its coordinates
- Gradient blue dial with applied indices filled with Super-LumiNova®. Nickel hour and minute hands filled with Super-LumiNova®. Nickel central seconds hand with ‘lollipop’ insert filled with Super-LumiNova®
- Black rubber strap with Oris-developed safety anchor and quick-adjust, sliding-sledge folding clasp with extension. Alternatively available with stainless steel bracelet with quick-adjust, sliding-sledge folding clasp with extension
- Presentation box made using environmentally friendly regenerative algae. Clipperton Island insignia included inside
- Swiss retail price CHF 1,950 on strap, CHF 2,150 on stainless steel bracelet