SIHH 2017 – Girard-Perregaux Laureato in 42mm
The Girard-Perregaux Laureato is back. Of course, there was an introduction last year as well, but this year we see that GP is offering a full range of these 1970s marvels. Sizes 34mm, 42mm and a tourbillon in a whopping 45mm are being presented at the SIHH 2017. We have a look at the one we like best, the 42mm Girard-Perregaux Laureato.
I won’t lie to you, the price is a bit steep in my humble opinion (10.370 Swiss Francs excluding 8% Swiss sales tax), but this watch surely is one of the neat surprises here at SIHH. That is, if you fancy those 1970s Genta-like designes pieces. The Laureato was introduced originally in the mid-1970s and was in the collection for a long time. Now, more than 40 years later, Girard-Perregaux is putting their focus back on them.
The 42mm version comes in a couple of variations (steel, titanium, pink gold/titanium) and are all equipped with the GP01800 movement. This is a fully in-house design, developed and produced movement. You might remember that we visited Girard-Perregaux a couple of years ago, and we reported about their manufacturing process in detail in this article. A read worth-while, especially if you are interested in the technical side of things.
Back to the Girard-Perregaux Laureato. We will do a hands-on review shortly, but first we will show you the variations of the 42mm model. All models are 10,8mm thick and available on bracelet and strap. The pieces that will come with a strap, also come with a rubber strap (for sports).
As you can see, a beautiful stainless steel watch with an awesome combination of polished and brushed surfaces. The octagonal bezel is on top of a round bezel, giving it its own distinguished look. True, there are a number of aspects that look very similar to the Royal Oak, but remember that it was the 1970s and also part of the ‘fashion’ at that time.
The hobnail dial is available in a couple of colors (silver grey, slate grey and blue), but personally I’d prefer blue, as pictured above. Below an overview of all available models from Girard-Perregaux in 42mm.
Below, the specifications of the Girard-Perregaux Laureato in 42mm.
- Material: steel, or titanium and 18K pink gold
- Diameter: 42 mm
- Thickness: 10.88 mm
- Glass: glare proofed sapphire crystal
- Case-back: sapphire
- Dial: silver-toned, or slate grey, or blue, with “Clous de Paris” hobnail motif
- Hands: baton-type, enhanced with luminescent substance
- Water resistance: 100 metres (10 ATM, 10 bar)
- Reference: GP01800-0008, mechanical self-winding
- Diameter: 30 mm (13 ¼ ’’’)
- Thickness: 3.97 mm
- Frequency: 28,800 vph (4 Hz)
- Number of components: 191
- Jewels: 28
- Power reserve: 54 hours
- Functions: hours, minutes, sweep-seconds hand, date
- Leather strap: black or anthracite grey alligator with topstitching
- Metal bracelet: steel, or titanium and 18K pink gold, with alternating polished and satin-finished surfaces
- Clasp: titanium triple folding clasp